I live and create in a beautiful area of the United States called Mars Hill, North Carolina. I am surrounded by creative people and gorgeous landscapes. My art reflects the beauty of my surroundings and I am continually inspired by what I experience.
I have been fortunate enough to work full-time as a potter and soapmaker for the past 2 years. I started 20+ years ago dabbling in pottery, and now I finally feel that the experimentation and added attention is reflected solidly in my art. I like to create beautiful, functional and affordable stoneware pottery for everyday use. I incorporate carved and stamped nature scenes, and design with landscape colors. I have started making some one of a kind art pieces as well.
Lately, Dancing Woods has become a family business, and I am currently taking as much advantage of my family’s creativity as I can. Two of my three daughters work with me in the studio sometimes. Ayla hand carves individual pots with beautiful bee and luna moth designs, and Hali helps create stunning wall tiles. Both make our soap dishes and tea bag holders. In addition, they wrap all the soap that is made by my husband Steve, and myself. It is really fun to have the opportunity to work together right now, as I know it may not last forever.
My studio is next to our house on our 12 acre property and was built about 4 years ago. It is still evolving, as is my art. Recently I made a tile background for my wood stove and am currently thinking on how to finish the edging and grout the tile. I had planned to teach small classes and eventually I think I will, but right now it is a working studio, filled to the brim with all kinds of potential not yet realized.
I sell my work at:
- The North Asheville Tailgate Market on the UNCA Campus in Asheville, NC – most Saturdays from April until November
- The Herb Festival at the Asheville Farmers Market in May (2021)
- The Mars Hill Heritage Festival in Mars Hill, NC in October (2021)
- The Holiday Bazaar – UNCA Campus Nov 28-Dec 19 from 10-1:00 (2020)
- Madison County Arts Council Holiday Show – Marshall, NC Nov 27- Dec19 from 10-5pm(2020)
- The Laurel River Store in Hot Springs, NC (Not currently open)
- Flow Gallery in Marshall, NC
- The Grovewood Gallery in Asheville NC